That dreaded F word, Frizz!
Frizz occurs when the cuticle layer of your hair is raised, allowing moisture to pass through and swell the strands. As a result, your hair appears dry and frizzy instead of smooth and defined. In general, curly hair tends to have more frizz than straight hair because of dehydration in the strands, which leaves it more vulnerable to frizzing.
Hair can become dehydrated for many reasons…
- You aren’t drinking enough water (at least half your weight in ounces per day) and eating a balanced diet.
- You are not sleeping with satin or silk accessories and your hair is rubbing against drying materials (this one is predominantly for the curly heads).
- The oil your scalp naturally secretes is not making it down the strands of hair over the days after washing (which is very common with coiled and kinky hair types).
- You are not deep conditioning often enough, or with the right types of products for your porosity level.
- Your shampoo has a PH level that is too high and is drying your hair.
- Your protein to moisture balance is off; you are using too much protein without enough moisture.
- Your oils and moisturizers of choice are not penetrating the hair shaft.
- Medications you are taking are causing changes in your body that affect your hair.
- You have over-processed chemicals in your hair, such as high-lift dye or bleach, that have damaged the cuticle.
Enter in the Rejuvenique Oil and other Monat products
Rejuveniqe Oil is MONAT’s invigorating proprietary blend of 11+ unique molecular ingredients, which includes vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, beta-carotene, omega-6 fatty acids, nutrients and amino acids, suitable for all skin and hair types. These ingredients have been proven to mimic the body’s own natural oils to reduce hair thinning, prevent oxidative stress, and add volume and shine. Rejuveniqe’s special properties energize and rehabilitate the scalp to visibly repair hair with instant and long-term Age Prevention benefits.
Here are some of my go-to products and treatments to combat frizz:
- Add a few drops of natural oil to your favorite deep conditioner, but only about once every five washes. The more hydrated it is, the longer your styles last, and frizz stays at bay
- Do an oil treatment at most once a week to infuse your strands with essential oils.
- Use a leave-in conditioner on the more humid days.
- Mix an oil and water in a small spray bottle and mist hair in the days after washing to add moisture to curls.
- Dab a bit of oil on the ends of your twists, curls or braids at night to seal in moisture.
- Coat your fingers with oil before situating curls into styles and fluffing.
- Try using a microfiber towel instead of regular bath towels so you do not disturb your hair’s cuticle layer after washing.
- Make sure you are using a hydrating shampoo with natural oils.
- Look for alcohol-free styling products.
- Consider use of a heat protecting leave-in, even if you aren’t planning to style with heat. Why? Because they are specifically designed to create a barrier between your hair and external elements. Some heat protectants have silicones, so if you feel build-up is an issue, no worries, just use a clarifying shampoo on your next wash day.
Changes to your regimen, such as addition of new treatments or oils, can take several applications to show a true, recognizable difference. You should not expect perfect, frizz-free locks after one use of a new product.
MONAT Says No To
Here’s a quick list of what you won’t – and will never find in any MONAT product. MONAT products do NOT contain:
- NO Parabens – Could be linked to chronic disorders.
- NO Sulfates – irritating to skin and scalp.
- NO DEA/MEA – can be irritating to skin and eyes and could be linked to chronic disorders.
- NO Phthalates – long-term exposure could be toxic.
- NO PEG – can be linked to chronic disorders
- NO Phenoxyethanol – can be irritating to the eyes and skin.
- NO Ethanol – can be drying to the hair and cause frizz and damage.
- NO Petrochemicals – can coat the hair shaft causing moisture loss and suffocation of the shaft.
- NO Glutens – can cause allergic reactions to sensitive individuals.
- NO Sodium Chloride and NO Harsh Salt System – can build up in tissues and cause dryness and dehydration.
- NO Harmful Colors – can be toxic to skin and scalp and linked to chronic disorders.
- NO Harmful Fragrances – can be irritating and linked to chronic disease.
What’s missing? Absolutely nothing – nothing your hair will miss, that is. The frizz is the only thing that will be missing….but we won’t miss it, now will we?